Monday, December 21, 2009

hello old friend

So, the holidays have taken a toll on me. That's the official excuse I'm using to explain my absence. The holidays have taken a toll on me. Or, I took too much on during this holiday season and couldn't fit it all in. Whatever.

But, last night something happened that is definitely blog-worthy. I locked myself out of my apartment. At 6:45 on a Sunday night. I hadn't showered, washed my face or brushed my teeth (or hair) since the night before. And, I was wearing yoga pants, running shoes, a seahawks sweatshirt and a puffy vest, not exactly an outfit I want to hang out in anywhere other than my living room. I was working a low-grade mostly exhaustion driven hangover all day and was finally rallying myself to go to the store to get something to eat. Luckily, I remembered my phone. Unfortunately, I knew that my friend who has one of my keys was busy at the (burlesque) nutcracker (I really hope, and forgot to ask, that they made the obligatory nutcracker, I hardly know her joke.) Anyway, I called her cell and then called her at home and left desperate messages. I then called my parents to complain. I then texted her, then walked down to the movie theater, got 7:15 tickets for Brothers (which was good, btw), then texted her again and again and again. I may have left another message as well.

Here are the texts that I sent:

Message 1:
To friend w/keys (FWK) - So, I think I locked myself out of my apartment. Can you call me when you get this message?
[No response, I think she was in the Nutcracker]
Message 2:
To FWK - So, I'm definitely locked out. I can see my keys. Anyway. Can you call me when you geth this? I'll come anywhere to meet you to borrow my key from you. Thank god we exchanged keys!
Message 3:
To FWK - Totally feel like an idiot btw.
Message 4:
To FWK - And a stalker.

Apparently my friend looked at her phone after the show and was like, 2 messages and 4 texts? Wha? After the movie, I was like where can I go now? At this point it was like 9ish and I had decided that if I didn't hear from her by 10:30 that I would call a locksmith. I decided that I could go to the diner that's in my neighborhood, and that if I sat at the bar my appearance wouldn't be too embarrassing. So, I called my folks and they looked up a locksmith for me. I made one last attempt at my friend's home number, in case she missed the message there and the 2 on cell and 4 texts. But, as I was leaving a message she called, was on her way home, where I met her and then she took me home & let me into my apartment. While I should be all zen and all's well that end's well, mostly I keep thinking it is the most wonderful time of the year. But, at least I'm thinking that from the comfort of my dry, heated apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment